Thursday, January 24, 2008

At the Home Studio

Have you ever been in a situation where the environment conditions were so intolerable that your brain stops functioning and you are conscious of it happening?

That's pretty much my studio conditions at the school for the last two days this week. Today, I've decided to spend my studio time at home where it is warm, and where I can at least have some music playing in the background while I work.

It's not a fun feeling sitting there in the studio knowing what needs to get done but you are just plain unable to because of how cold the building is. It's not the building's fault; the heating unit for the area of the building the studio is in has been on the fritz since the start of the semester, and everywhere you go you'll see one of the janitors or one of the work-study kids fixing a light bulb or hauling a ladder so that some technician can check the rig above our heads.

I can only imagine how bad it is for the class we share that space with. It's a night class, and the only thing keeping them away from the just-above-freezing temperature outside is a painted cinder block wall and nothing else.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I always say, its easier to pretend that you are cool when it is hot than to pretend that you are warm when it is cold.

Robert