Saturday, January 19, 2008

Could this fit?

Below this paragraph is a video I just completed as part of a test to see if I had any corrupt files in my fireworks database. I was originally going to fire them off one by one and see if any particular one crashed the system, but I decided to knock two birds with one stone and create a really cheesy and shallow Valentines Day fireworks show to the music of Disney's High School Musical. Nothing makes sense visually, but its function outside of my own personal knowledge of my files is to entertain those who would be entertained by this.



Now, assuming you've watched the video before reading any further (fat chance, I say), the title of this entry should hold some merit regarding this or something similar to this going into my graduating show involving obsession.

The pitch of the idea went over great, and everyone is looking forward to how I'll be addressing popular media obsession on one level or another. There were some odd suggestions that still linger, but for the most part the class of four knows what I'm trying to do. The biggest compliment I got was that my idea is more refined now thanks to Winter Break.

However, knowing all that, my personal (or at least current) entertainment obsession doesn't seem to fit. I'd like it to that way I can break up what I will be showing instead of relying all on one installation piece consisting of clusters of work. Thing is, I can't seem to "make it fit." At least right now.

Those of you that read my blog and have been keeping up (i.e. Jason and Robert) will no doubt leave comments dealing with this subject matter. Knowing that, I will leave you with this webcomic someone e-mailed to me.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Oxford English Cat and Girl is a double strike. On the one hand it contrasts the useful and the non-useful (nerds and geeks). On the other it pokes fun at the sometimes unfathomable choices made by the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Entertainment Obsession?
Diversion Complex
Dissipation Compulsion
Celebration Consumption
Merriment Craze
Pastime Delusion
Distraction Enthusiasm
Pleasure Fancy
Frolic Fascination
Pleasure Fetish
High Times Hang Up
Relief Idée
Satisfaction Infatuation
Gaity Mania
Leisure Activity Passion
Play Preoccupation

What is in a name? Sometimes everything. I believe you are well on your way to getting your creations settled into a final whole.

Be brave. Ignore the questioning.

Robert

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I have now watched your video. I try to only make positive comments but I was not impressed by the fireworks and music.

I have some questions:

1) Is your intention to present a realistic fireworks show? If so, why would your video be better than just filming the real thing?

2) Is your intention to present images that cannot be created by physical fireworks? If so, why do you think it would be good to stick with the background of a school building and a night sky?

3) Is your intention to show a progression in this presentation from some point in time to another? If so, I failed to notice it.

4) Is your intention to show changes in place/position as time goes forward? If so, I failed to see that as well.

5) Is your intention to create a transformation of reality? If so, would you do only one transformation that might get boring, or a succession of styles that would satisfy the fifteen seconds of fame rule?

This video may well evolve into a fantastic piece but I don't think you have enough time to clarify all your thoughts about it and then do all the intellectual and mechanical (computer) work that it would need to become an "art" piece.

I say, let the video be a post-graduation project.

Robert