Saturday, January 05, 2008

I've been published on Schmap!!

The new year is shaping out to be pretty good for me right now.

A few months ago, I got an e-mail on flickr saying that one or more of my photos has been picked for an internet mapping site called Schmap!! If I wanted to add my photo, all I had to do was visit the site and click on a confirmation link. If I didn't want to be associated with the site, I could opt out. They even said in the e-mail that I can pick and choose which of my photos I would accept and/or reject for publication on their site.

I poked around the site to see, first off, what photos of mine were selected and what the site is really about. It surprised me to learn that one of my best pictures from Venice was picked: the lantern of Locanda Motin that I jokingly call "My Postcard Shot." Yes, I did take it, and if you give me enough time, I'll fish out the negative to prove it. After learning this, I went around the site and learned that the site itself is a tourist's internet resource for various landmarks, attractions, and special hole-in-the-wall discoveries found by other people to make a trip to wherever you want to go more enjoyable. Only commercial businesses and tourist spots are "pinned" to their map, and most of them have photos of the location in one sense or another.

Essentially, it's a Google Earth version of a site-seeing book.

I accepted the offer and was told I would be e-mailed again once the revised map came out. This morning, I got said e-mail and this link to a list of restaurants of one could find in Venice. While my photo is the third one in their little slide show (of which I'm surprised they already had a lantern shot, so why didn't they take any of my other pictures from Locanda?), the fact still remains that my photo has been published on a website that is used for something other than a personal photo album.

Why is this a good thing outside of the obvious? Because now I have a new line to put on my artist resume!! If I can figure out how exactly to list said publication.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I went to flickr and checked out the lantern of Locanda Motin. I can see why they chose that photograph. The angle gives one a notion of the surroundings of the business itself.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeekslider/650881110/

It's great that your work is now moving beyond personal webpages.

Robert

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations!