Friday, January 11, 2008

Morning Musings or Bored Babbling?

Today is my first day of class, officially. The semester started Wednesday, but with a class that is left open with practically no set meeting time, let alone a room, it feels rather odd being here. Barring the fact I've never had a class meet on Friday until thi semester.

The school has gone under a few changes. New computers in the labs, brighter lighting in the Film Department, an annoying yellow coat of paint in the 500 hallway where all the lecture classes are held, the cafe losing one of the entries in favor for a single way in or out yet able to reap some good from the new layout by being able to offer a wall of plugs for students to recharge their iBooks. And that's just from me wondering around for 10 minutes after updating my website with the last three pictures I was e-mailed involving my public art project.

Curious still is the fact I found a ticket from work here on the floor. Someone from the school is about $18 away from a free soda with their club card. Why I bothered to even do the math to figure that much out is beyond me. Then again, I critique Disney parades and live entertainment offerings when I'm not critiquing art as a way to keep the practice up.

Even more surprising is the fact that one of my works is still in the hallway as I installed it a month ago. I would have thought it would've been thrown out by now, but I guess I'll have to do the uninstalling myself after I'm done with class.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

What caught my attention was "gone under" and that is the right expression for a lot of our educational institutions these days.

All the talk is about test scores and achievement. I say that being educated is knowing how to ask the right questions. Anyone who is interested in and connected to information can find answers -- the question being did they find the best answer?

Not throwing out things that are out of date is very common. I am guilty of it myself and there is always a stack of stuff around me that should be "gone under."

Robert

Anonymous said...

Don't you dare throw those awesome little frogs away! I want one if you don't plan to keep them. I should have pocketed one when I had the chance.