Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Walk With Me

This is the second time I've hung out with a co-worker outside of the work environment, and the first time I've gone hiking in a long time. We talked, we opened up, we shared skeletons we each had in our closets.

But one thing kept coming up over the course of the conversation: changing the aura one emits so that it is received better by another.

Any sociologist can tell you that there are some racial stereotypes in the world that are true. Asians must have rice with their meals, Europeans can hold their liquor very well, Africans are hung like horses. Being Asian, the concept of auras affecting others is already inherently hard wired into my genetic code. It's easier for me to understand than it is for me to articulate in comparison to someone who doesn't know anything about that kind of Eastern philosophy or world view.

Now, this is nothing new. I've been told this in one fashion or another. However, there is something about hiking in the woods in winter with someone you like and respect that makes words like these stick better. He even acknowledged that it isn't an easy or instant process, but once that change happens, you'll know it. Something nobody told me. Everyone that told me that assumed it was like a light switch. He was the first person to tell me otherwise.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of New Year's Resolution. I believe that if you resolve to change something about yourself, you shouldn't wait for the new year to roll around to do it. You should just do it. It only feels like some kind of divine design that I had this conversation several days before the new year does roll around.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I have friends who talk about auras but I never claimed to know much about the concept.

I was at a circle on Halloween night once. I told an older lady that I was going to concentrate very hard and see if I could project a special aura. Afterwards she said that she didn't see an aura but that she saw my pink socks.

But we do project our feelings to others whether we intend to or not. Sometimes someone comes into our lives and we immediately say to ourselves, "now here is someone!"

Although most people say that it is impossible, from time to time I write email that elicits a response that I could not have imagined.

Our inner rainbows
are signs of our intentions
to not disappear.

The light switch is a modern invention. We haven't evolved that far yet.

Robert

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a very wise conversation that you had in the woods with your friend. Change is a slow process. What steps do you think you'll take to initiate a more positive aura? Is driving one of them? The senior show certainly falls into that as a possibility. They both involve a series of steps and growth that open up larger opportunities for you. It sounds like a fascinating conversation and I'm impressed that you've taken it to heart.

Tell us more about this friend...?

I love New Year Resolutions. It's a chance for me to reflect on the ways that I've grown and initiate new growth. It's a notch on the yardstick that measures my life. Resolutions are important at any time of the year, but it's nice to take a single day to reflect and celebrate such changes. I have to compose my new years resolutions this afternoon. I'm looking forward to it.