Thursday, May 10, 2007

Regal Reg Returns

Yesterday was my first day back on the job at the theatre. New management staff, new rules and promotions, same theatre.

I was trained how to do Box Office since it was a slow day. Less chance of errors, but you still have to deal with every customer that comes in the door. It's actually a pretty mind-numbing position to be in since the crowd comes in waves based on show times. At least the customer turn-over rate is faster than at Concession, where I'm blamed for someone missing the previews simply because they have to have popcorn.

I learned that the ticket prices inflated heavily in the last month. They are now $9 for an Adult Evening show. If this is the case where you live, see if you can lie your way into getting a student discount. Until my managers become stricter about carding people, chances are that they will just take your word that you are a student and give you the discount. That's what I do.

I also learned that Matinees stop at 15:00, which is pissing off a lot of patrons. That means for most movies, you can only see one or two movies for $6. In fact, I felt bad having to sell a family of four (two parents, two kids) their tickets for $30 just because they wanted to see the last afternoon show of Spider-Man 3.

I can only imagine the customer reactions to the prices in Concession.

The smart ones quit and got better jobs as far as the employees go. The work ethic is actually better than it was over Christmas. Very few firings this time. Given the summer season of movies, a Now Hiring sign is up to beef up the staff as best they can. With Pirates 3 looming on the horizon and Harry Potter rounding out the summer season, we will need all the help we can get.

Much to my surprise, a classmate of mine is now my boss. It was nice catching up with him, but it was rather odd seeing him in such a situation. I'm just lucky I can separate the side I see of him in school and the side I see of him at work.

Other than that, this month will be my only month working for them before I leave to study abroad. I've already notified my managers (the ones that I know like me), and they are excited for me. Jealous? I bet, but at least they know it's coming. Being the good employee that I am, I filed all the paperwork the moment I got there. One month's worth of theatre work is going to be my personal spending money in Spain and Italy. I doubt I will break $800, but I'll be happy if I leave the country with even $500 to spend while I'm there.

No comments: