Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Youth of the Nation

I'm starting to worry about the future of today's youth.

In the mists of another "SpongeBob is Gay" newspaper article (one I won't link to because of how one-sided the article was) that made the front page of the local newspaper, I found myself saying how ridiculous the issue is. I kept saying that all SpongeBob is is a cartoon. A silly one at that.

I then went off to try and take pictures of people in the park while my mother walked around to reflect. What I saw made me think.

I saw children ranging from six to early teens throwing rocks instead of bread at the ducks. Only one parent tried to explain why throwing rocks was a bad idea. One child said to me that I better not take his picture or else he'll rip my eyes out. He must have been at least eight. His mother was near, but she did nothing after I snapped his picture.

Sitting here and looking back, I'm reminded of a South Park episode that was loaded with violence beyond reason. It was a parody of all the anime cartoons. Then, at the end, Cartman tries to sneak past the adults naked because he is role playing that he has the power of invisibility (which naturally doesn't apply to his clothing). The parents were more worked up about seeing Cartman's ass than they were about Butter nearly losing an eye to a ninja star.

I think this is where our society is headed. A child actually threaten me when all I was doing was aiming at another family feeding the ducks. He just so happened to be in the frame. The other children around me were throwing rocks. On the front page of the Sunday paper is an article saying how you shouldn't let your kids watch cartoons with "gay" characters like SpongeBob.

We support violence. We see nothing wrong with it.

We don't support sex and nudity. We see it as bad and as something the children shouldn't be viewing.

Today, I took pictures of some of the most beautiful people that I've seen in a while. Too bad the children were so ugly outside of what my camera was able to capture.

1 comment:

Leggy Pee said...

great post, jon. i totally agree. it's ok to throw rocks and beat each other and bully and make fun and curse - but god forbid we see cartman's fat ass naked.