Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Religious E-mails

Spam comes in all forms. You have fancy HTML spam that looks like and pretty much functions like a miniature web site. You have the evil spam that just keeps duplicating itself if you even read it. You have the malicious spam that offers an opt-out option only to send you more spam. You even have the viral spam that has an attachment you "need" to download only to become infected with something only their product can remove.

And then you get the strange spam. I'm not talking about the sexual enhancement drugs that are obviously not meant for your gender. I mean the ones that just stand out as just plain weird.

I got a religious spam letter just now that I skimmed over. It was pretty much an auto-biography with several strong religious messages scattered throughout. Now I know what you are thinking. It was probably some nut that knows I'm gay and wants me to repent before I end up burning in hell for liking the same sex. Well, yes, I thought that too, but reading it turned out to be rather strange. The person claims to be gay, but his only sin was that he hated his father, whom his mother divorced. Long story short, he eventually saw the error of his ways when he moved to Nashville (of all places).

So, yeah, it was a pro-gay religious e-mail. However, a few things bother me.

If this isn't spam, how the hell did he find my private E-mail addy?! No one here should know what it is unless you REALLY know me. I've made damn sure of that.

Secondly, if this isn't spam, then why was there an attachment on the e-mail? Naturally, I didn't download it. I'm smarter than that. But it does raise some red flags.

Lastly, why the religious content? This person got lucky in that I come from a family of Roman Catholics, but what about all the gays and lesbians out there that don't believe in God and/or believe in another higher power? Religion is a red-button issue with me, seeing how it is the very foundation as to why I stopped going to church to begin with.

Now for the stupid question. If this really is a letter from God, why e-mail?

1 comment:

Leggy Pee said...

i get jesus spam too!