Thursday, May 01, 2003

Okay, I guess I learned my lesson today.

After finding out about Ultimate Ride Coaster Deluxe, I went on a little quest to buy it if I could. There were two versions that are worth getting apparently. The Deluxe version and the Disney version. Hey, the game is done by Disney Interactive. It was a matter of time before they did that, right? Anyway, unable to find it at any of the stores despite Best Buy saying that they had it on their website, I decided to just download the game from Kazaa. I found a self-extracting EXE file. It held the install info from the CD of the original game. I installed it and ran the game. I spent about an hour or four making up a coaster that I ended up deleting because I didn't like it. In an attempt to get some cool coasters, I joined the community at the Ultimate Ride website. Of course, by the time I was able to download some of the coasters, I had long deleted both the installed files and the self-extracting EXE file. Why? Because it was buggy. It was doing things that the program shouldn't do according to the FAQ on the website. I really wish I could have just found either or both of the games I'm looking for. Hey, I'd only be out $40, and I have $50 in my wallet. Another lesson learned the hard way.

The lesson? Don't download software from Kazaa you can buy somewhere else. Sometimes paying for something is worth more than getting it for free.

No comments: