Friday, November 29, 2002

Man, Dan was right. Oh well, another lesson learned... and again the hard way.

Today is what is known in the Animal Crossing world and in the real world as SALE DAY when consumers go out for the last minute bargin and employers look for help desprately. Stupid me thought, HEY, I can maybe get a job today! I mean, they are all hard up for help, right? God, I'm an idiot. I walked down to the nearest commercial area and hit up the stores I wouldn't mind working. Blockbuster said they are accepting application, but I need to go to a location five miles away to apply. On a strange whim, I went into the Christian Store. It used to be another Christian store known as Kindred Spirit which was a book store, but now it looks like it's under new management. Anyway, I got an application. They told me that they don't hire for the holidays, which is a good thing really, so I may have a chance. I stopped my Gold's Gym to see if I can get anything there, but they are fully staffed. Go figure since everyone working there has a better built than me. Why would they hire a scrawny, out-of-shape kid like me? As I took the safe way to Wal-mart, I passed by the Dollar Tree. To my surprise, they had a "Now Hiring" sign right there in their window. I went it and applied in the store. They said they will call back for an interview. I also passed by a computer store. Being of a techie, I thought I'd get a good foot in. Nope. They only take resumes (which I do not have).

When I got to Wal-mart, it was a mad house. The employee I talked to told me I can get application at lay-away. I went back there to be greeted by a line that streached all the way back to the front of the store! I'm not joking. I was considering just cutting and picking one up and running off, but I decided not to. There were three angry black ladies, mothers no doubt, and a big burly black man. I have learned to never EVER piss off a black momma or a big black dude. And with a cart load of Christmas presents? You'd really need a death wish to cut in front of them.

On my way home I started beating myself up again. Dan was right, and I didn't really listen to him. Proves how much I need him in person. I bet if he was here with me I would not have done such a stupid thing! I really need his guidance. The walk home felt longer because of this.

I made the mistake of taking a nap. When I woke up, my legs were litterally immovalized. I sat there for about thirty minutes just waiting for my muscles to react. When they finally did, I got up and ate lunch. I somehow got to go to OpryMills with some suttle help from Dad. I began to think about the job hunt, but on the ride there, I figured to just throw that out the window as well and go see Treasure Planet like I originally planned. I mean, c'mon, if Wal-mart was that bad today... imagin a mall with everything from the preppy Old Navy to the childish Build-a-Bear to a classy store like Blacklion. Yeah, you get the picture.

So much for the job hunt. Now I know better.

GO SEE TREASURE PLANET ON IMAX IF YOU CAN! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

No comments: