Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lori

I feel like what I'm about to write I've heard before. Where? I'm not sure.

While working today, I ran across a high school... I guess you could call her an association since I never really was friends with her in retrospect. She's married now, and judging from her outfit, a very successful member of society now.

We didn't know each other as well as we could have. But the situation placed me into a very awkward position.

I don't have many friends.

I don't go out.

I'm hardly successful or able to dress like it.

I'm not seeing anyone or committed myself to seeing a single person.

In some sense, I haven't grown up since I was 16. At least mentally and socially. My wisdom, intellect, and even physical appearance may be age appropriate. But the rest of me isn't, however big a chunk that is.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I only knew a few people in high school even though almost everyone was aware of me. It seems strange to me because when I interact with one of them today, what they remember seems so unimportant to me.

I had more friends by the time I was a senior in college. Some liked me more than I deserved. One I have kept in touch with over all these almost fifty years.

I have made more friends as I have grown older but getting older was not the reason. I quit focusing so much on what I thought and started paying more attention to the other person.

You can go out more. You can dress more upscale. You can see people regularly without a special commitment.

You just have to decide to do it.

Forget about trying to be "like" other people. Just be the "unique" self that you are and project that uniqueness with the same diligence that you display when animating a virtual story.

This post sounds just a tad like whining -- worse, it sounds almost like being sorry for yourself.

Just ask yourself, "What would Jason do?," and then do better. Sorry about that little jab, Jason.

Robert