Monday, July 14, 2008

Social Evolutionary Design Intelligence

My sister has a date with her boyfriend.

My mom and dad just left for their own date.

My aunt went out with a friend for a "Girl's Night Out" thing, or rather as close as she can get given her Senior Citizen status.

And I'm at home with the dogs enduring the birds squawking due to boredom or hatred towards the music that I'm playing through an auxiliary cable I've attached between the computer and the Bose CD WavePlayer the family got my Dad for Father's Day adding yet another creature to my collection of aliens for the upcoming game Spore. (You can view my collection here.)

What's wrong with this picture? I don't even need an answer to that question because I already know what's wrong with this picture. I have no friends to hang out with. Not even once a week.

There's a lot of contributing factors to this, most of which have been addressed in one fashion or another several times on this blog to the point where the evolving excuses and logical reasonings really don't matter. Case and point: why I don't drive. I can list all the reasons, some very logical given things like how gas is now $4/gallon in the state and climbing. But in the end, it doesn't matter. People will still say I need to learn how to drive and will politely look down on me for the fact that I do not have that little card in my wallet that says I can drive anywhere I please. So why give a reason?

Out there is not my world. My world is constructed out of bits and bytes, zeros and ones, points of lights so tightly compressed next to each other that they are seen as one by the human eye. My world is Cyber Space, and it is here where I do all my socializing. It's a dangerous place, as anyone can tell you. Hell, I just watched a movie that subtly addresses that by showing humans talking to the person sitting right next to them via a video phone that is projected no farther away from their face than this monitor is from mine!! You would think I would have looked at that and said "What a second! That's me!" And I did.

Social ineptitude, shyness, and the list of reasons could go on and on. But none of them matter. After I finish this post, I'll continue to channel what little creative energy I have into designing another creature, inspired by an existing product or by intuition, instead of trying to figure out my thesis for round two. I haven't touched it since I moved out of the studio, even though it is both the first and last thing I think about during my daily routine.

There are some days where I know who I am but I just don't feel like that person. Today is one of those days.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

This makes sense to me. One has to decide to move ahead.

I didn't learn to drive until I was twenty five. I didn't start socializing (as you mean it) until I turned thirty.

And I didn't decide to quit being shy until I was forty five.

You are correct that these days it is very easy to be sucked into cyberspace and only socialize there. I love exchanging messages and thoughts with people by email. And I do it with a long list of acquaintances. But every once in a while I really want to see those people in person. I have some friends whom I only know through the internet but most of them I have met face to face.

I'm not sure whether to read your title as Social "Evolutionary Deisgn" Intelligence or "Social Evolutionary" "Deisgn Intelligence." And even if I were sure, I don't think I know enough about either idea.

The phrase that most caught my attention was "I know who I am but I just don't feel like that person." I'll have to think about that.

Robert