Friday, April 04, 2008

10 Hours Online

According to my computer's online connection clock, I'm approaching the 10 hour mark of sitting here on what is suppose to be the big due date of my thesis class. But since I withdrew from the semester in order to continue my work and try again next semester, I see this as fair game for the three weeks of stress and panic I have yet to come down from.

I am getting better, however. Just not well enough to talk about art.

Amanda gave me a heads up about a show in NYC that is opening soon featuring none other than Takashi Murakami. It's a massive retrospective and features two of his animations. Told my mom, because she reacted rather well when I showed her MR. DOB (Murakami's original character), and she seem impressed by the offerings. Don't know if we are going to go there or DC, but I'm told I'm not a real artist until I go to NYC... or something like that.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I did a little Googling to see just who MR. DOB is and I found this quotation: "When I consider what Japanese culture is like, the answer is that it all is subculture. Therefore, art is unnecessary." - Takashi Murakami

Real artists know
art is unnecessary
but still must create.


New York City or any other city is an idea as well as a place. You are only a real artist when you are rooted in your "own" place.

When you come down from your stress and panic, don't neglect to engage as many people as possible in the discussion of your work and its thesis.

Robert

Anonymous said...

AMEN ROBERT!

Wiser words were never spoken. Engage as many people as possible in the discussion of your work and its thesis. This is the only way you'll be able to discover what "your own place" is, and how you're rooted in it.