Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cause and Effect

I like to believe that behind my back I'm told I'm over dramatic, that someone out there believes that what I do is nothing more than a reaction that shouldn't be due to extreme feelings. It's better than believing that nobody is talking about you.

I've been trying to go to Spain and Italy on a Study Abroad class. While most of progress for the trip has been met, I recently fell into a snag with trying to get the final payment in. I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say it involves a lot of miscommunication. Then again, what doesn't in my life?

Things were said, messages were delivered back and forth, and I was starting to lose sleep over my future education prospects. One thing lead to another, and I found myself in a fit of depression transferring money from an account I designed as something I shouldn't touch unless I absolutely had to to my checking account with the purpose of making the rest of the payment myself.

As noble and independent as my actions were, given my own history, I feel like a fool. I know my actions won't go without consequence.

The way I see it, I'm officially broke anyway. The remaining cash I have is pretty much spent on the computer I'm typing this on. Any money I have been spending in the past is just a false debt that I'm accumulating. On top of all this are my Student Loans and future tuition costs and who knows what else.

I was never good with money. I always bought things that didn't matter. So why is it that I feel so bad now that I actually spent money on something that I want? I want to go to Spain and Italy. I want to actually go there without some pretense like a religious pilgrimage to save my soul. I want to go to Europe and see the things that I'm actually interested in with people who are equally interested in those things as well. So why do I feel like I just did something horrible just now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

By all means, take your trip to Spain and Italy. I think the change of scenery would do you good. And don't stress out about the money. As my sister says when somebody tells her, "You shouldn't have spent money on that" -- "You can't take it with you!"

Rob