Monday, April 09, 2007

Attention Computer Makers

I just recently noticed that one of my keyboard letters is started to fade away due to general use and not because I was carelessly cleaning it with some kind of solvent that eats away at the paint/ink. Incidentally, this computer isn't even a year old yet despite it being already obsolete.

I went searching for computer skins for it, but alas, they don't make ones for the keyboard model I have. I then searched what kind of cause would have been the root of this fading print only to find out something rather startling.

Apparently, according to this thread I found, most keyboards on both the Mac and PC ends are using an old fashion and fairly cheap version of screen printing for their keyboards! Through excessive (and sometimes normal) use, keys have been known to just disappear in one fashion or another. What keys end up fading away is apparently random or factors in to what they user types the most.

A few posts down, I learned something interesting. The paints/inks they are using are generally getting cheaper and cheaper, causing faster wear and tear on keyboards on both sides of the computer debate. Only one company is doing something to combat this, but they are providing it as an optional rather than a factory standard.

Apple apparently can engrave your letters into your keys to prevent fading letters. And since human erosion takes forever, the keys are pretty much guaranteed for the life of the computer!

Why the hell is this not a factory standard?! Maybe when they get several keyboards back saying from consumers saying "replace this for free because I refuse to pay $200 for a new keyboard," they will start being standard on computers.

But until then, I'll have to deal with my fading M and L keys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've run into this problem on my Dell laptop because I'm a hard typer. There are several keys that no longer have letters, and even a few where my fingers have rubbed off the layer of matted texture only to leave the shiny bare plastic underneath. Apparently I am quite aggressive when typing. Fortunately I haven't had my Mac long enough to see this happen yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Here is what I've found out on the subject: keyboards are built and priced to be replaceable. You can get a good, brand new one for as low as $10. As for laptops, it is possible to order replacement keys if they mean that much to you. But you are more likely to have an outdated computer before rubbed-off keys become a serious issue, since people replace their machines between 3 to 5 years.