Saturday, November 18, 2006

Flatline

Last night, for those of you that don't know, was my debut show. What this means is that last night, I exhibited my drawings for the first time ever. Normally, this would be a very nerve-wrecking experience until the show is finally over, but much to everyone else's surprise, I wasn't nervous or excited for it. If anything, I was happy to be finally showing some polished and finished pieces of work!

The night itself was interesting. Having been on the other side of the fence and just looking at pieces from other students that were exhibiting, I can say that it was rather pleasant to be the center of the lime light. Socially, I didn't feel as awkward or out of place... much. But at the same time, I felt like I had a presence and that people were finally noticing me. Looking back on it, I can honestly say I think my ego inflated a little. That's a good thing, since I have none. Any ego boost will undoubtedly lead to a boost in confidence, which is what I need.

And as often as I've complained about this, I didn't feel like I was the odd man out for once. The pieces from the other students complimented each other and worked well with each other. Nobody was fighting for someone's attention, and everyone got a fair amount of viewing time from what I saw. For me, coming from several years of cartooning knowledge and a drawing background so steeped in it, that is a major plus.

However, as nice as that first show was for me, I still have my doubts about several things. Chief among them is this: Does anyone even remember what I drew and will they continue to remember long after the show is dead and gone? If they do, that shows that the piece was very successful. If not, then it's no different to when you see an electrical outlet spark. Exciting the first time around, but forgettable after you get back to your daily grind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there
yes, it is a 'high' to be in a show for a change - the deal about folks remembering your work long after is this; keep working! keep putting your stuff out there and they won't forget....
keep it interesting for yourself..
:)
from
Janet

Anonymous said...

oh ya,
and you are not exactly invisible the way you think you are...
:)
Janet