Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thesis Block'd

When children draw on a piece of paper, they are directly involved in the creation and interaction of a world known only to them. This world invites them inward to the point where the child will hunch down until their nose is an inch away from the paper as they draw another line.[1] As children grow into adults, these simple and natural creative pleasures become nostalgic, as an arbitrary value is placed upon them proportionate to the priorities we end up creating for ourselves.
That's about as far as I got in my paper before I got hit with a massive case of writer's block. And, yes, I get those. Everyone does at one point or another.

Actually, a more accurate term would be a writer's distraction. It seems my wonder'd over to some angelic fantasy of spending the weekend in a cabin rented out by a pair of hot jock twins who end up sharing more than just identical DNA bases if you get my meaning. Hot stuff even though I know it was probably spawned from an Abrecrombie ad.

I personally don't like having writer's block when I have to pop out a major paper. Then again, I normally don't. My science paper on Batman Beyond's sci-fi freak shows known as Splicers was the easiest paper to construct, even though the subject matter was the most difficult to understand (Turning Science Fiction into Science Fact and how to go about that process today). But this? It's an expanded artist statement. The only difference is that I have to talk at length about my piece and cite artists, theories, and anything else credible to "defend" my work as art.

And all I got was some abstract paragraph using the information I read from that link. And it doesn't even make that great of an introduction to the paper.

With this paper due Wednesday, and me needed to do other things for my two other studio classes, I'm starting to feel that, once again, this so-called break wasn't long enough.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I read through The Child's Drawing by Donna Reimche. What you have taken from her paper sounds like what a sociologist or psychologist would say.

I say that the two most important points in her paper are:

1) our perceptions of time and space change with age and with the responsibility we feel to conform them to expectations, either our own or those of others.

2) our creations result both from the world's drawing us into a new place and time and from our drawing a new world into our own particular place and time.

The reference to DNA is really funny. You really should make your own exotica.

Robert