Thursday, November 29, 2007

Projects x2

The paper was turned in, and to be honest about it, I don't feel any better than I did before. I did the best I can do, which is all that anyone can ask for, I suppose.

That said, I picked up my old fireworks show ideas again. Why? Not for art, but just as something to do to keep me sane. It's kind of like those hobbyists that do things that could relate to their profession but kind of don't. I'm surprised as to how fast it is being put together, so who knows? Maybe I've finally got something entertaining going on with this show I'm producing.

During my breaks, I've been working on my box of images. I'm starting to notice a level of refinement in my drawings that is clear evidence of what practice can do for a person's drawing skill, even though I'm shoving these drawings back into the box at random. With a good eye, it's not hard to figure out the chronological order of the drawings. The only difficulty in that task is my ability to switch styles on the fly, which I'm quite proud of and would be more so if I actually was going into the field of cartoons and animation like I originally wanted to before I found out about the ugly assembly-line-like process.

They say that doing too many things at once lowers your IQ and shortens your attention span. Frankly, I just like producing things. It's a shame I can't make a living off of this kind of lifestyle. At least right now.

3 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Think about that wording: the best I can do. Perhaps you should imagine: the best I want to do. What one can do is beside the point unless one wants to do it.

The box of drawings appears to be coming along fine. When you blog next, please put the date of your talk. I would like to come to Watkins to hear it.

Who are these "they say" folk commenting on lowering IQ and shortening attention span. I would think just the opposite. The more things you are doing, the higher and the longer.

Robert

Anonymous said...

I have never heard that multi-tasking lowers IQ. That's horrifying! Regardless of IQ points (I'm probably down to zero by now) I am exponentially more productive when I have many projects going on. When I am only working on one thing at a time it gets drawn out and sometimes remains incomplete.

I agree with Robert - please announce the date of your Senior Presentation. If I am in town I would also like to attend.

Anonymous said...

Wheres your positive attitude? I can't tell if you are being optpmistic or not.