Friday, July 13, 2007

Official Nerd Moment

I've had nerd moments before, but nothing like this.

Upon my return from Europe, I went on a mindless impulse shopping spree on Amazon.com buying the things I remember wanting the most but never having enough cash to get them. In other words, I basically blew off my next two paychecks before the month of June was up.

In any event, the first of two packages came in the mail recently containing the long-desired Cowboy Bebop DVDs. Things were really good, as I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of the delivery, the product being one loaded with extras, and even remixed to support Dolby 5.1 Digital Surround! Things couldn't have been better for me at this point.

Then that bitch known as Murphy's Law kicks in. As I was about to watch my favorite episodes out of the entire series (which just so happen to be one right after the other), I come to the sudden revelation that one of my DVDs is defected. This isn't because of the fact that I bought the set from a third-party user, as the product was as advertised (new and still in their factory seal). And I seriously doubt those annoying security stickers found at the top of DVD cases are sold to the general public, so there is no real way I could have been ripped off by the seller.

However, I still didn't know who to contact about the matter. Do I contact the seller since I did buy it from the person? Do I contact the company and run the risk of them saying "sorry, you lose because you didn't buy directly from us"? Or will I have to do the stupid thing and buy another DVD of the defected volume and then pawn the bad one off to GameStop down the street?

The real nerd moment didn't hit me until after I took my initial action to find out which course I should take. I found myself clinging on to the working DVDs as if they were a child. An odd feeling of guilt and sadness came over me knowing that the collection is not officially complete with that defected DVD looming over the bunch. The fact the defect affected my two favorite episodes also didn't help the matter any. And like any true stereotype of a nerd, I was fill with the useless and seemingly selfish desire to "complete the collection properly." It was like my OCD and my love for Cowboy Bebop made a love child that was in control for those five minutes.

I can't say I'm not proud of myself for acting that way, but I can say that this is the closest I've felt to actually acting like my true self in a long time.

Yeah, I'm a nerd that loves his cartoons.

No comments: