Sunday, July 15, 2007

Social Faux Pas Soda

There's a reason for everything, and though we may not figure it out right away, we eventually find out why some things happen the way they do.

Case and point: I found on my schedule that I was switched out from Box Office to Lower Concession. Reason being? Could be several things. I keep being mysteriously over on my drawer when counted down, meaning I somehow am not giving back enough change to my customers. I have also generated a lot of complaints because of social faux pas of one nature or another. Then again, it could be something else entirely that I haven't thought of.

Either way, I was reminded why I am now placed in a position where I can do the least amount of social damage when I once again made a social faux pas towards a female guest debating on if she wanted a kids meal or not. I'll spare you the agonizing mistake, as I still have yet to live it down even after watching Ratatouille after my shift.

Coincidentally, I was reminded of the consequences that have happened once before to me. How? Well, I somehow found myself on the other side of the fence in trusting someone too soon only to find out that they cannot be trusted due to having a "big mouth." Popular theory is the usual need to be the center of attention. In retrospect, as harsh as I was to the guy, he really didn't deserve it from me in the magnitude I gave it to him. I made just as big of a mistake as he did. Hell, I made that mistake more times than I care to remember.

I don't think when I speak or type. I haven't after I resolved that whatever I do won't help me get anywhere in life. That I should continue doing what I have to do instead of what I want to do. After all, whenever I try to do what I want, I can never do it for whatever reasons those may be. As such, I see that the world is fair game. If someone ends up hating me or taking advantage of me for something I do or say, why bother trying to fix it?

Most people just get more suspicious, more defensive, create more distance between themselves and other people. Me? I just stop caring.

The only thing that gives me hope now is this: I learned pretty early on in Seminar 1 that the people who tend to have the most trouble communicating verbally produce the most engaging visual pieces. Those that can articulate to the point where anyone can understand them clear as the rain hitting the roof of a tin building tend to produce very complex and often misunderstood visual pieces. I may not be articulate with my words, written and orally, and I know I'm lacking in visual engagement in my work.

But maybe I can find a balance that works. Something that can say what is on my mind and what I really mean without being misunderstood.

No comments: