Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Debt, Debt, and More Debt

After my last entry, we went to Best Buy to figure out what to do about the computer that just refuses to function properly. We then found out that we shot the motherboard in that model yet again! This means yet another six weeks without a computer.

Or did it?

Apparently, when we were told this news, my mom said to go look at the computers they had on the floor. I didn't argue with her, but I knew what was going to happen. An impulse purchase on the scale I haven't seen before.

While it is justified in the sense that I need a computer for school work, it felt rather uncomfortable looking at computers that I knew we were going to drop the full price on then and there.

In the end, I ended up picking a Gateway computer with a 2.4GHz Dual-Core processor, 2GB of DDR RAM, and a nVIDA GeForce 6100 TV card. The price? Just under $1200.

The best part? Tennessee was having a Back-To-School Tax Free Shopping Spree Holiday (say that five times fast), which means I didn't have to pay for tax on the computer when we bought it.

So why am I in debt again? Or rather still, as the case may be? My mom says I now owe her the price tag. I won't have to pay her immediately since school is starting soon, but when I start working again, a portion of my pay check is going towards her for the computer.

No comments: