Thursday, September 29, 2005

Passing the Invite

I'm not sure if I shared this story with the blog or not, but just in case I didn't, I will not.

During the summer, I met one of my sister's co-workers. She found out I was studying Fine Arts and wanted me to teach her daughter, who was playing the part of hostess for the time being. Her daughter, who is in grade school, at one point started doodling on the paper that is used to protect the table from stains and such. Well, as I looked at her doodles, I was quite impressed by them. With some formal training, she could make those doodles look like Mike's paintings of fantastic flying machines from another time and place. I told her mom this, and she lit up like a candle at how well developed her child's art skills were. Naturally, like a true artist, her daughter didn't see anything special in her doodles.

Flash forward to yesterday. I got an invitation to a one-night gallery with driving directions and times. I saw that Mike was on the bill of artists. While working along side him on some images for Printmaking, I asked if any of his flying machine paintings were in the exhibit. He said that there were a few that looked like they were a part of the series.

It was about this time I called up my mom to find out for me if Brenda, my sister's co-worker I met, was working that night. Turns out she was, so I asked for a detour home.

Once there, we were greeted by every worker we knew there as if we were family that haven't visited in forever. In some sense of the phrase, we were. Hugs and welcomes were exchanged, as well as messages we would have to forward to my sister when we have the chance to give them to her. Then, I talked to Brenda about going to the show. She seemed excited and said she will try to get her daughter to go to it so she can see that her doodles can be made into art, thanks in part to Mike's work being on display.

If they go or not is rather up in the air right now, but I hope they get a chance to check out the show.

When we left, I felt really good for one reason or another. I couldn't place why, but felt similar to those times I give spare change to anyone that is broke simply because I feel that I am better off being the broke one rather than the other person. Hopefully, I did something good last night.

No comments: