Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Long First Day

I need to get used to the fact that I'll be getting home at this hour, which leaves me little time to do any real homework that may be due the next day.

Okay, now on with the real post.

First impressions. The new Terry that came in to the school is my painting teacher. He's not really how I pictured he would be. Chatty like how most people who have had him said he is, yes. But he sounded rather like a hippie. I kept thinking that the way he would talk must be one of those long-term affects pot has on you even after you quit. A bit harsh, I know. I know he's very knowledgeable in the field of painting, as well as very flexible in how one will go about painting. I'm just wondering how he is going to be over all as a teacher.

I had a long wait between my first class of the day and my second class. I used this time to socialize with whomever would talk to me until about noon when I had an idea that I needed to talk to the other Terry about. Terry G. suggested I look up a few artists to give myself some kind of direction for what I found out is probably my strongest artistic attribute when it comes to the fine arts. Cartoon character design. I wanted to know if there was any working artist right now that I could look at to help me figure out how to take that strong point and turn it into a legitimate art form. He suggested to people, and I quickly e-mailed myself the links to the Google searches for my own records. I'll probably pick them up and bookmark them in the morning.

World Civilization is going to suck. The teacher has the title of doctor, and looks the part. Complete with pocket protector. Serious, he broke it while putting his pen back in his shirt pocket. I couldn't help but noticed that his choice of hair style looked like that of Senator Palpatine before that strange transformation in Episode III. If you can remember what that looked like, imagine a bread that extends about two inches out from the chin and thick glasses. That's my teacher. He also did something I'm not too happy with. Instead of introducing the class like everyone else, he decided to start teaching the class! The first day! Naturally, half of us were not prepared for this, while the other half were. The half that were, surprisingly, had his class before. He also gave out a pre-test. It didn't count for a grade, but it was just for his own curiosity. He gave us a blank map of the world and said to name as many countries as we can from the list on the same page. If we know more than what is on the list, feel free to label them. The entire time, I was trying to remember the old Animaniacs bit Yakko's World. You know, the one where Yakko Warner sings every name of every country in the world to the Mexican Hat Dance theme? It probably wouldn't have helped me, seeing how most of the countries' names have changed since the mid-90's, but it wouldn't hurt.

Tomorrow my only class is Printmaking. I'm out by 11:00, so there may be a chance I can catch a ride home during my mom's lunch break. I can only hope. For now, it's very late as far as my clock goes, and my class starts at 08:00.

No comments: