Thursday, November 13, 2008

Why me?

I failed to see until now just how far behind I really am with the academic side of my thesis. The weekend of playing tourist, the private party for myself I had watching DVDs of old cartoon shows, and even updating this blog is putting me farther behind.

The surface of the thesis is already establish, the definition and examples of an avatar and how they are constructed. But I'm missing one important question to answer. Why?

Why did I choose to represent myself with a ponytail and why do I refuse to cut it?

Why did I create an avatar for Gaia that is a martial arts stereotype complete with bared chest and muscular built?

Why did I decided to produce a life-size digital collage of a side of myself i don't like talking about in public and yet is comfortable enough to exhibit it in a public space?

Why did I pick these words to represent me and my thoughts?

Why am I listening to a Gothic German polka while I'm typing this?

Why did I ask that last question?

The philosophical part of my paper, the theory side, was something I either ignored or just plain forgot was a requirement until just a while ago when I was staring at my second draft and realizing that I had nothing more to talk about. It was then that I asked Kristi, who told me I completely forgot about the major part of my paper: the concept of identity. She promises me that someone will ask me one of those questions, and if I can't answer them, then my thesis isn't as deep as I could be.

The stupid part of all this is the fact that the only answer I can think of to these questions is this: Why not?

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Sad identity?
one must jump off a high cliff
to find a glad one.