Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Most Fun I've Had on the Clock

Concession Lobby Doors Detail Shot
Click the photo for more images!
About a week ago, one of my more creative managers got approval for a self-appointed promotion/premire party for the movie Surf's Up. During this time, he caught wind that I know how to draw. It's no secret in the workplace that I'm studying art as a major. Hell, one of managers is a classmate of mine, so why would it be a secret! In any event, he asked me if I wanted to do some paintings on the window for this event of his. Naturally, it would have to be when I'm not working the floor. The idea of extra money made me say yes. On top of that, I would be doing something I would probably enjoy more rather than dishing out popcorn, carding kids trying to get into R-rated movies, and cleaning up after a two-year-old who doesn't know how to eat popcorn.

I didn't know how right I was in that idea. I worked for about 10 hours, which included a 35 minute break, and had the most fun I've ever had on the clock! No stress, no frustration, and the only time I had to deal with people was when they came up to me to compliment on how cute the images were.

In case you are wondering, this isn't art so much as is it graphic design. I even went through the steps of graphic design process. Granted my manager who came up with this idea was so easy going, he pretty much gave me free range to do whatever I wanted.

That being said, I ripped a page out of Tokyo Disneyland and proceeded to paint tiki graffiti all over the windows. I let paint drip and brush strokes to show; I tried my best to make it look like this was done by a child or at least have a child's aesthetic. Using Tokyo Disneyland's Stitch event as the inspirational base helped in achieving that look.

I came back the next day and took pictures of my work. I was greeted with compliments as to how great the Box Office Lobby looks by the managers working that day. Too bad I can't enjoy the fruits of my labor for long.

I leave for Europe in four days. Ten days of classic European art and culture! I'll try to post pictures when I come back of those as well. After all, my flickr account (as well as my blogs) need some attention.

No comments: