Friday, October 27, 2006

Sex as a Mall Commodity

Had another dream about sex but not getting any. Only this one was just plain odd.

I was in a mall. A nice mall at that. Nicer than the Green Hills Mall I worked close to over the summer, but not as bloated with money as the Cool Springs Galleria mall.

There's this store there that looks like your average beauty shop with a front desk and a partition between the front and the back for privacy. The entire shop is themed in an Asian motif, mainly the Feudal Era of Japan. The women working the front desk, however, are wearing Chinese Dragon dresses. You know, the ones that are so tight on a woman, they make her look like she has big hips, no waist, and a mono-breast? The ones that stop at the knees and then have a slit going up either side of the dress up to the top of the thigh. Yeah, those.

I approach the store, and one of the women asks what I would like. Actually, she flat out asks in a joyful manner what kind of woman I would like for "this evening." I tell her that I'm not interested in any women but something different. She immediately gets what I'm talking about, and in her broken English says there are none available. She asks for my contact information and hands me a card that looks like an job application.

Confused, I look over the piece of paper while overhearing Far East banter about me. I know they are about me, because the women there find it odd that I have not gone to the back yet. For some strange reason, the only English they say is the word "dragon." In my subconscious conscious logic, I take that as their way of saying gay sex. Being "interested in dragons" means that he's gay in their little gossip circle.

I return the paper, unfilled, and simply say that I'll be back later to check up on them to see if they get any "dragons." The woman smiles like a Korean shop owner, nods her head, and then awkwardly says the stereotypical "Thank you, come back soon" outro.
I find this dream odd mostly because of the fact that while it does count as a sex dream, there is no visual sex going on, unlike my last dream. It is like sex has become distant to me. Something I can't have let alone afford if I could have it. Hence the job application in the dream.

What I also find odd is the setting. The place is obviously a whore house that has been combined in my mind from two different eras. But even a whore house themed like a Feudal Era whore house would never be as open about being such a place, especially in the mall. And a nice mall at that!

As far as the ethnic confusion goes? I know what that means. It symbolizes the fact that I don't even know my own background thanks to being assimilated into the American culture. I'm not really Asian as much as I am American in cultural aspects. Then again, most Americans are not as American as the Native Americans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

some thoughts....
you are being asked to 'name it' so to speak in a public way -
claim what you really really want outloud...
not filling out the 'job app' was like saying; I don't see sex on my end as a job...are there viewpoints that you are looking at for yourself? Are you shifting in some area of this part of your life to see relationships/relations differently?

or not?