Friday, December 09, 2005

Christian Christmas and Heathen Holidays

Something has been bothering me about this holiday season for a while now, and I feel the need to address the issue... again.

Recently, I posted another entry explaining my distaste for how ignorant some people are about the history of Christmas as a major holiday. To be perfectly honest, I don't care anymore if a person believes whatever they want to believe about the holiday.

I'm just getting sick and tired of people saying that some group of people somewhere are pushing religion out of Christmas because Wal-Mart decided to greet people by saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I'm also not buying into the claim that people are calling Christmas Trees "Holiday Trees."

You have no idea how much this pisses me off. For nearly 11 months out of the year with probably only a weekend to give thanks for being alive, someone somewhere is hating someone else. There is always some group, religious or cultural, that is offended by some other group for some stupid reason. And the only escape used to be this time of year. At least in this country.

But now? No. Every time I turn on the local radio to listen to Christmas music, I hear some religious Public Service Announcement saying that they should boycott this store because they are doing this to take Christ out of Christmas. I know it's a minority, but do you think the people that celebrate Kwanza are this bitchy about the holiday season? Hell, none of the Jewish people are upset about this whole "Christ out of Christmas" crap so far as I have heard!

If I could be a holiday special, my Christmas wish would be for everyone to just get off their high horse and celebrate the season for what it is. A time where people can for one month out of the year can get along with everyone even if they fucking hate their guts because they did something stupid like ran over their puppy. I just want the Christians that celebrate Christmas being about Christ's birth to do that. I want the people that think Christmas is about Santa and presents to do that. I wan the people that celebrate Kwanza to do that. I want people that don't have anything to give or get on Christmas to not feel like complete losers. In other words, I just want people to leave everyone else well enough alone and stop trying to make people celebrate the holiday they way they thing the other people should celebrate it.

I guess that's just asking too much, however, so I guess I'll just stick to asking for a Digital SLR Camera. People are never going to leave others alone when they are offended by something as stupid as how they practice Christmas. It's just human nature to try to conform everyone to their way of thinking an nobody else's. Very few people are as open minded as they claim they are.

Myself? I just have the curiosity of a cat but the attention span of a small rodent.

No comments: