Saturday, December 31, 2005

The Most Rewarding Moment in Recent Memory

A few days ago, I told myself that if I found A Musical History of Disneyland in a store, the next day I would listen to the whole thing without skipping any of the tracks while I cleaned my room.

Well, yesterday, I found it. I dropped the $100 I had as a Christmas present on it without thinking. It was the happiest purchase I can remember doing myself.

And like I promised to myself, today I cleaned my room while listening to it. In fact, I cleaned areas that haven't been touched since 1993! Somewhere around the audio track for the Tarzan Treehouse, I had to open the doors to my room to let in some air. At great risk of being told to turn down my music, I opened a window to help the dust flow out. Thankfully, nobody minded that I was literally blaring the audio from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as if I was watching the movie in full Dobly surround.

I found a lot of treasures in my room. Old address books with no addresses in them, sketch pads that were falling apart with drawings from a time I forgot about, even a fan fiction I was righting once upon a time. I even found, much to my shock, evidence that I had a mullet when I was younger!

When the dust was cleared and everything put back in a more organized space, I realized that I finished three hours before the last track in the box set was to play. So, I tended to my laundry.

As time past on and as the music got closer and closer to the audio track for their 50th anniversary fireworks show, I found myself getting more and more excited in the most uncontrollable way. When the track finally started to play, I was in another place. I closed my eyes and saw everything I saw on any of the videos of the attraction at the real Disneyland. I felt this strange sense of pure, magical joy that I don't ever remember having felt before. I found myself smiling just because the track was playing loud than I would ever be able to hear it in my lifetime!

It was heaven. Pure and simple.

When the CD finally ended, I sat there in the stillness of my clean room. I looked around, got up, and then placed the CD back in its proper place. As I left the room to come here, I realized what I had just experienced.

I've never had a more rewarding moment in my life than what just happened no more than 25 minutes ago. And I wanted to share that with you few that read this.

No comments: