Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Good Sign or Bad Sign?

This week so far has been really odd. I mean, just completely odd.

For starters, in my student mail box I got Halloween candy on Monday. While this isn't an odd thing in general, it was rather nice and rather unexpected. But that wasn't the only thing I found in my mail box.

The next day I found a Cruella De Vil wobbler in my mail box. I don't know who gave it to me, but someone obviously knows of me and knows what I like. I really appreciate that little random act for the fact that it gave me a smile that morning.

Today, one of the mothers in my Painting I class brought in left over Halloween candy she didn't want. I looked through it and found several batches of candy that I liked, so I said that I would take it off her hands if it didn't disappear by the end of class. The candy didn't, and as such, I took the candy.

Then my mom calls up and says she has time to have lunch with me before my next class. I told her I wanted to check out this Gay-Straight Alliance thing the school is putting together. Well, not directly, I just said "this thing" to describe it. She sounded disappointed, but I told her that it will probably end by 13:00 due to all the classes.

The thing is, I didn't really go. I found the room, I looked at it and all that good stuff, but I didn't bother staying. I just left. There was just something inside my head saying that my general purpose for wanting to go wouldn't be a good reason to attend GSA. Basically, I wanted to go because I wanted to meet other gay guys that attend the school. I realized at the last second that this method does not and probably will not work for me. Furthermore, for someone that has said that he has given up the whole dating game scene, to go to GSA for that reason alone would just show how much of a habitual liar I am, if not how much of an ass I am. And if not those two, the how much I am in need to get laid.

Besides, I'm not so much an activist as I am a bitcher.

So, here I am. I have a student mail box full of candy, a Disney villain wobbler among my collection of various toys, and surprisingly no class tomorrow due to a sudden loss of my teacher's family friend. And it's only been two days into the month!

You can tell it's finals season, can't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan

I have mixed feelings about you avoiding the GSA at your school. Mixed, mostly because I think you could stand to find more gay people in your life. That being said, GSA also just brings up horrid notions of sterotypical queer guys and girls -the swishy guys who adore Kylie for whatever reason and frumpy girls who dress like guys and get hyped over kd lang music.

Anyhoo, joining GSA to find a date is a wrong assumption and usually brings disappointment. You should go there in hopes of finding someone as bitchy as you -someone who understands the bullshit you go through everyday. A friend is what you need more than even getting laid.

I realized after I wrote that last sentence how silly it is, but going to GSA looking for support and friendship could lead somewhere that you least expect.

But, I could be wrong.

Smile and a little peace, kiddo.

David