Friday, December 12, 2008

Milk Review

I saw Milk today. Though my intents to be in that theatre was to see if I can secure employment on what is probably going to be the slowest movie season ever (the movies they green-lit during the writer's strike are coming out now) on top of which with the economy being what it is, I decided to treat myself and my mother to a movie. She went to see a different movie than me, but that is because that particular movie would be leaving once the Christmas family films come out in full force next week.

Anyway...

Milk. I really wish I had someone with me to appreciate this movie with. Someone special with a bond that only the two of us would understand. The movie is nothing short of inspirational and moving. It's also very painful to watch, as the arguments against homosexuals made in the film mirror that which are made now. Thirty years have past, and nothing has changed! Why?

I'm not going to praise it; that's been done. I'm not going to comment very much about Lucas Grabeel's small role in the film, though I do wonder why he got an opening credit when he was nothing more than a background character whose importance wasn't addressed until the end of the film. (I will say that Lucas did look rather comfortable playing the role, so who knows what that could mean. Then again, so did James Franco.) I will say that by myself, it's difficult to appreciate the magnitude of what this film is about and its core message without someone special watching it along side.

We're all human. We may have our flaws and disagreements. We may even come to hate each other. But we are still human.

Unfortunately, we've lost sight of this simple fact because of stupid things like the color of our skin, the religious creeds we believe in, or what gender we are attracted to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be interested in this:
http://www.feministing.com/archives/012603.html
and this:
http://www.feministing.com/archives/012655.html

it's generally a good site that often touches on gay issues.

Robert Stone said...

Inner spring the same,
outer growth variation,
sameness is slipping
.