Sunday, October 07, 2007

Vacations? What's that?

It's no secret that vacations, be them the kind that are needed or the kind that are obligatory for religious or governmental reasons, are too short for most people. You never hear anyone say that their vacation lasted too long and they wanted to get back to work. Well, almost.

It's also no secret that I've been under a lot of stress lately. Most of which personally induced to the point where I'm still not feeling any better than I was before I caught those "back to school" flu bugs. If anyone needed a vacation (or needed to get laid, period), it's been me for the last month and a half.

With the stress mounting to the point where dropping out of the semester (not out of college as a whole) was the most beneficial choice I could make, it became clear that not even taking care of dog would help my problems go away. So, for my sister's birthday weekend, I went along, despite having a work load that, while manageable, I knew I wouldn't do while I was out of the state.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: What's the point of going on vacation if you're going to bring work with you?

The weekend was nice, I'll admit that much. We stayed in a cabin with a view because no hotel within my sister's campus would allow dogs. We didn't do anything but enjoy the view, the company of the dogs, and watching a few movies that were available to buy at the bargain bin. It was the stuff that all three-day weekends should be.

But the moment we got back home to Tennessee? It was like God set the reset button.

Skippy was over-stimulated and ate out of both his and Lucky's bowl. He then proceeded to throw up on the couch. I tried to clean it, but even touching it with a pair of rubber gloves made me want to vomit myself. Needless to say, didn't get any sympathy from anyone. Instead I got a response I never liked hearing.

I've probably said this once before on here, but my laziness is preventing me from doing a site search on Google to find out. I don't like being told to just shut the fuck up and get over it. In so many polite words, that was what I was told to do with Skippy's half-eaten regurgitation. That's great if you can do it. More power to you, but do you really expect someone who isn't like you to be able to do the same things as yourself in these kind of matters where you can get over things like nothing happened? No! And to do so is asking too much of the person. Some people have to have a process in order to get over anything. We don't instantly learn things like how to deal with a break up or how to get over your low gag-reflex tolerance. For some of us, it takes a lot of time, but even then we may not be able to get over what everyone says we should.

And yet, I have a history of people telling me this. Just shut up and get over yourself and do it. I don't like hearing this, but I also don't like the fact that I can't do it like some kind of light switch.

The moral of the story? Vacations don't help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

move out!