Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lost in the Art World

It's post-Mid-term season, and with three high-level studio classes going on at once, I can't help but feel I have lost my artistic direction. The bitter taste of knowing my Seminar thesis paper could be better still lingers as I try to figure out my personal politics for a Public Art Class assignment I seriously could care less about due to my indifference in current political issues like global warming. Then you have the fact that my current exploration in cartoon aesthetics seems to be turning away from taboos and more towards images that I just want to produce to satisfy my own personal entertainment and quirks.

It's funny how once you know where you want to go, you end up losing your way if you don't stick to the beaten path. All these other assignments that I couldn't filter into Seminar seem to have caused a creative block.

And the funny part is I don't really care. It's not that big of a problem to me.

There's something about having a lap dog actually falling asleep on your lap that makes even the biggest problem seem like a minor annoyance. I kind of wish Skippy was like this all the time, but this is the first in what could be a very rare thing with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's something to be said about political indifference, especially in a class focused on Public Art. If your personal politics are ambivalent then go with it!

So many political views are fighting to recruit us and not a single one is concerned about our individual well-being. A majority of Americans don't vote. It's hard to care about things that seem too far removed from our personal spheres. I think your personal politics represent a majority of folk. Don't hesitate to remind your Public Art class that there's some good art to be made about indifference. Activism doesn't always have to be rabidly expressing an extremist point of view. Someone needs to represent the fuzzy, grey, middle ground, cause that's where most of us stand.

I am excited that you're so focused and have such a intuitive sense of direction this semester, even if you don't feel like it! Hang in there, you'll be graduated before you know it!!

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

If one's work does not satisfy oneself, does it matter whether it might satisfy someone else. Only if they give you money for it and the money gets you something else that satisfies your needs and/or wants. Thank heavens your "current exploration ... seems to be turning ... more towards images that I just want to produce to satisfy my own personal entertainment and quirks."

As Shakespeare said, "to thine own self be true."

Robert